Thursday 14 February 2013

Say it with lemon drizzle cake

My absent husband left a Valentine's card for me in his underwear drawer. He was surprised I hadn't found it. Does he think I dress up in his pants when he goes away? I hope you have not had any such unsavoury encounters; maybe you're starting to feel guilty that you haven't made much effort... Don't panic, there's still time to make cake for the one you love.

Heart shape lemon drizzle cake on white plate
Lemon dribble cake - you'll be drooling over it

You can't see the lemon glaze because I added red food colouring to it (but used unbleached caster sugar). That's what happens when you try and be clever.

Valentine's Day lemon cake


175g butter
175g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1½ level teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
3 tablespoons milk
grated rind of 1½ lemons

Topping:
juice of 1½ lemons with 175g caster sugar

Pre-heat oven to 180/gas 4. Put all the ingredients in a bowl together and beat for a couple of minutes. Bake for about 35-40 minutes and leave to cool in the tin. While it's cooling, mix the lemon juice and sugar together and tip it over the top.

I usually make this as a traybake in a tin measuring 12 x 9 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment