Monday 11 November 2013

Baked apples

I'm sure you share my delight in knowing that the human race has progressed to the point where we have invented the self-cleaning cat litter tray (which automatically activates 7 minutes after kitty leaves the box) and a portable UV disinfecting scanner so you can "protect yourself and your loved ones from harmful micro-organisms found in your home, during travel or in public places".


On the kitchen front, it seems there's an implement for everything. I have tried, tested and thrown away a great deal of them, but one I've hung onto is a melon baller. Originally bought to make Gordon Ramsay's tequila-marinated melon balls, it also makes an excellent apple corer - perfect for this recipe.

Apples, halved and cored, in a baking tin
Fill 'em up


Oaty Baked Apples


4 large-ish apples
60g brown sugar
20g oats
20g plain flour
30g cold butter
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 180/gas 4. Cut the apples in half and gouge out the cores using a melon baller. Sit the apples (cut side up) in a bun tin. Whizz up the other ingredients in a food processor until they resemble large breadcrumbs then spoon them into the holes and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4

Two halves of baked apple with vanilla ice cream
Eat 'em up

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering, love your recipes. I'm laughing at the equipment we buy on a whim that have no value 'past one go'. Why do we do it? I have just de cluttered my kitchen and found not one but two juicers. I'm using the best once again and have given the second to a worthy cause. I have learnt now to be a little bit more savvy when it comes to kitchen equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two juicers?! I'd love to know what make/model the one you're keeping is as I need to replace and would love a recommendation. I've just loaned out a fancy (but under-used) waffle maker to a friend so she can decide whether she should buy one.

    ReplyDelete